I am an Associate Professor in the department of Computer and Information Sciences at the University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB). I work in the areas of computer and network security, and applied cryptography. My particular focus is on practical, transformative, inter-disciplinary and game changing research, which can go beyond the traditional confines of academic domain and make an impact (hopefully positive) to the lives of end users relatively quickly. Now that I have bored you with my philosophy, you may choose (or not) to read further.
My students and I run the SPIES — Security and Privacy In Emerging computing and networking Systems — research group. I am serving as the Co-Director of UAB’s M.S. program in Computer Forensics and Security Management (CFSM) [Apply -- we are currently accepting applications for Summer'15 and Fall'15 terms]. I also co-lead the Information Assurance/Security Pillar of UAB’s Center for Information Assurance and Joint Forensics Research (CIA-JFR).
A more colorful 1-page description of my research, teaching and service can be found here.
I obtained my Ph.D. in Information and Computer Science from UC Irvine. I hold an M.S. in Computer Science from UC Santa Barbara, and a Bachelor’s degree in Mathematics and Computing from Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur, India. Before joining UAB, I was on the faculty of the department of Computer Science and Engineering at the Polytechnic School of Engineering, New York University.
Note for Students: I am always looking for exceptionally bright prospective PhD/MS/BS students to join my research group. If interested, please contact me with your CV.
Recent Selected Contributions/Grants/Awards:
- Comcast Research Award, 2014
- NDSS 2014 Distinguished Paper Award
- Google Research Award, 2013
- Cisco Grant, 2013
- NSF EAGER (Secure and Trustworthy Cyberspace) Grant, 2012
- The Kevin and Jo Ann Reilly Endowed Award, 2012 (UAB, CIS)
- NSF EAGER (Trustworthy Computing) Grant, 2011
- NSF Trustworthy Computing Grant, 2011
- Google Research Award, 2011
- Papers at CCS’14, NDSS’14 (2 papers), Percom’14, ICME’14, TETC’13, TIFS’13, TDSC’13, WiSec’13, TMC’12, ESORICS’12, Wisec’12, Percom’12, Infocom’12, CCS’11, Ubicomp’11, WiSec’11, CHI’11, Percom’11, TIFS’11, CCS’10, Ubicomp’10
- Media Coverage including MSN, NBC, Fox, Discovery News, Yahoo! Finance, CNBC, ACM TechNews, Bloomberg, ZDNet, CACM News, Slashdot, Science Daily and Motherboard.
- IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security (TIFS)
- Springer International Journal of Information Security (IJIS)
Recent Program Committees:
- 2015: NSS
- 2014: RFIDSec (TPC Co-Chair), CCS, CANS, CyberSecurity, ICISC, LightSec, SMPE, SIoT, BigComp
- 2013: Globecom, RFIDSec, ICC, ICISC, Inscrypt
- 2012: NDSS, WiSec, RFIDSec, IRI, WISA, CyberSecurity, ICISC
- 2011: NDSS, WiSec, ACNS, RFIDSec, Globecom, WISA
- 2010: WiSec, ACNS, Globecom, NSS, ISC, ICISS, CANS
Selected Past Events and Programs: